Transitions |

Transitions |

You can use our Planning Process Glossary to help explain any technical terms listed on this page.

Design standards and indicative drawings for crossovers can be found on the page of technical drawings for road works(Opens in a new window).

What is a crossover?

A junction is a driveway/pathway connection, from the edge of a property to a road, which often crosses a footpath, landscaped strip or sidewalk.

The intersection allows vehicles to move between the property and the road.

Crossovers are a path created within a road reserve to enable access from the property to the road.

Differences between entrance and intersection

Access relates to:

  • The path used to approach the road from inside the property
  • What happens inside the site only and not in the road reserve.

A doorway is also often referred to as a corridor. The image below shows the difference between doorway and intersection.

The difference between an entrance and an intersection

New move-ins and your possessions

If you are seeking new access (or changes to existing access) from your property to the Department of Transport and Planning’s major road network, planning permission must be obtained from the council.

The application will be referred to the Department of Transport and Planning for assessment under section 52.29 of the Victorian Planning Provisions(Opens in a new window).

Once planning permission has been issued by the responsible authority, a vehicle crossing permit and/or road opening permit will still be required from your local council to carry out the works.

In addition, on a Department of Transport and Planning arterial route, there may be additional requirements or approvals under the Roads Management Act 2004(Opens in a new window) To carry out any work within the road reserve. It is important to always check with the Department for Transport and Planning to see if there are any other requirements that need to be met, even if planning approval has been granted for access.

New access considerations

When assessing requests for new access, the Department of Transport and Planning will take into account factors such as:

  • How vehicles enter and exit the road – that is, driving forward and not reversing in traffic
  • Proposed intersection design – including location, width, angle and line of sight
  • Types of vehicles and traffic generated by the proposal – i.e. trucks or delivery vehicles, cars, motorcycles and bicycles (as well as the number of such vehicles at different times)
  • Current road conditions – including traffic volume, speed and current infrastructure (traffic lights, highways, pedestrian crossings, tram or bus stops)
  • Any work the site developer may require to ensure that the intersection and road network operates safely – including the provision of slip lanes, traffic islands, traffic signals etc.

The Department of Transport and Planning may impose conditions on planning permission to ensure that the arterial road network continues to operate in an efficient and safe manner.

Design standards for rural crossovers are available on the Standard Drawings for Roadworks page(Opens in a new window) Within the arrival and stopping bays.

Create a new crossover or remove an existing crossover

Under Section 63(1) of the Roads Administration Act(Opens in a new window)No person may carry out any work on, on, under or above the road without obtaining written approval from the Coordinated Roads Authority.

Any works on the road corridor generally need permission from the road manager. As for arterial roads, the road manager is the Department of Transport and Planning

However, there are exceptions in the Road Management (Works and Infrastructure) Regulations 2015(Opens in a new window) Relocation operations may be exempted from the requirement to obtain approval for the works (if the works do not have a traffic impact).

For more information on this topic, you can visit the business page under Route Reservation(Opens in a new window) Or contact us.

Conditions that may be imposed by the Ministry of Transport and Planning

All applications are assessed individually taking into account the location and surrounding road network, as described above.

Depending on the scale of the proposed development, the Department of Transport and Planning may also require additional works within the road reserve.

The Department of Transport and Planning normally requires that vehicles enter and exit a property driving forward (not backward). Other conditions may be specified, relating to any aspect of the proposal, to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the major road network.

Traffic management plans

Even if approval for the works is not required, all work on the road reserve must be carried out safely. This means that a traffic management plan is prepared in accordance with Section 99A of the Road Safety Act(Opens in a new window) Important.

There should always be a copy of the traffic management plan on site when workers are present.

A traffic management plan is required to ensure that your work is carried out in a way that is safe for road users and road workers.

More information and guidance on traffic management plans is available on the Action page under Road Booking(Opens in a new window).

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *